Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to the forum. Just bought a certified pre owned 2016 SantaFe and really love it.
It did not come with factory roof side rails and I’d really like to add them. Dealer said I could, but I’m having trouble even getting answers let alone finding parts. If anyone has knowledge they could share or experience with this, I’d very much appreciate it. Thanks!
Fin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine doesn’t have the sunroof. I wonder if they will still work? I’ll research a little more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There may be some confusion. Just checking. I need the roof side rails that run from front to back, not the cross bars. If we’re talking the same same thing, how much would you like for them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a specific reason you want to try and add side rails to it? I'm assuming yours has a blank roof right now, no racks of any sort. If so, I'd suggest buying a good set of 3rd party crossbars that don't need side rails. Installing side rails on a car that doesn't have them is a larger project than most people want. You'll have to take down the roof lining, and make sure that everything is straight and water tight. Installing crossbars that don't need side rails takes about 15 minutes and just requires you open doors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks for your input. Yes the main reason is I want the rails is so I can install cross bars at maybe 48 inches apart to carry 2x4s, an occasional sheet of drywall or plywood. Nothing seriously heavy. The 3rd party cross bars will sit too close to each other, maybe 28-30 inches. I know it’s much easier and less invasive. I would more than likely weld mounting plates in the existing gutter that’s covered right now. So no penetrations through the roof. But you’re right it’s a bit of work. I sure wouldn’t have bought this particular vehicle if the salesman was honest and said they can’t do it. But they assured me they could do it. That being said, if I could find a 3rd party solution that would give me closer to 40 inches I’d probably go for it. Still weighing out solutions.
Thx for responding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a specific reason you want to try and add side rails to it? I'm assuming yours has a blank roof right now, no racks of any sort. If so, I'd suggest buying a good set of 3rd party crossbars that don't need side rails. Installing side rails on a car that doesn't have them is a larger project than most people want. You'll have to take down the roof lining, and make sure that everything is straight and water tight. Installing crossbars that don't need side rails takes about 15 minutes and just requires you open doors.
I'm new to the forum. I'd like to install cross bars so I can use my Thule roof box. Have not been able to find any on line. Local dealer was no help either. Any suggestions??

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to carry a pair of kayaks and a turtle occasionally. I don't have side rails either. I see lots of 3rd party solutions but I'm concerned about the quality. Some reviews talk about them flying off while going down the highway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up buying Rhino Rack with aero blade. It’s a clamp on style. Very sturdy. I’ve carried 3 sheets of plywood with no issues. They look great too.

They do look nice. I’ve been looking at the Rhino as well but with the sidebar clamps. I like the idea of going past the edge of the roof a bit to increase cargo capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts