Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been having engine problems with our 2015 Santa Fe Limited since it hit around 90k miles. We've had work done on the vehicle's engine 3 times. Each time we had work completed a percentage of the engine problems were not covered by the warranty because they were considered "wear and tear" by the warranty company. All 3 times they found something wrong with a different area of the engine and they found metal shavings inside the engine.

Have others experienced issues with metal shavings in their engine, as well, as the warranty not actually covering everything? Is there any way metal shavings in the engine would be due to "wear and tear" or is it something else altogether?

We are now 900 miles over the 100k warrant and they are telling us we need to get a new engine, and the warranty company will not cover it. The manufacturer is willing to cover everything but $1,000, which would be great but if they had replaced the engine in August (the last time the vehicle was in) in theory there would be no out-of-pocket cost. Not to mention, the cost we've had to pay out for the engine nearly equates to a new engine. Ultimately, we are wondering if we should simply cut our losses with this vehicle or pay to replace the entire engine.

It really was a good car until 90k miles, but our other vehicles from different manufacturers have lasted much higher mileage.

Any insight someone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fee is not for anything in particular (e.g., labor, parts, etc). It's simply to offset the cost of a new engine. The manufacture was not willing to cover the total cost to replace it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The fee is not for anything in particular (e.g., labor, parts, etc). It's simply to offset the cost of a new engine. The manufacture was not willing to cover the total cost to replace it.
You need to call the corporate office and pitch a k’niption. Show them every service record ( hopefully it shows that you expressed concern regarding the issue) and do not take no for an answer. If the thousand bucks is for labor I would split it with them. If they are still holding their ground take it up the corporate ladder.
I had same situation, mechanical issues, mentioned it several times upon getting it serviced to which they would blow smoke to my ass saying it was something different each time. Sure enough once the warranty was up they told me it was something huge and it would cost me 4 grand. In other words everything I suggested to do, I did. It worked.
Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2014 2.0T got an extended factory warranty to 120,000 because of the defects in the oil ports in the block that was manufactured in Alabama. There is a class action lawsuit about this. Google it. My motor blew and just about caught fire. Hyundai didn't even argue and put in a new short block. There is going to be a recall for the ABS causing engine compartment fires. Don't park it in the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts