Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all,
The battery light came on for my parents car and they took it to advance auto and had it tested and were told it was the alternator. We replaced the alternator and the battery was replaced a few months ago, but the problem still exists. I did notice the +terminal was loose, so I tightened that up hoping it would resolve the issue, but it did not.

The battery light comes on whenever the RPMs dip below 1000 and turns off when above 1000 RPMs.

I put a voltmeter on it and with the car running it is showing just under 12 volts instead of the 13-14 volts expected and there is no change in voltage when you increase the RPMs.

What else could cause this other than the alternator & battery?

2012 sante fe limited 3.5L motor

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, all,
The battery light came on for my parents car and they took it to advance auto and had it tested and were told it was the alternator. We replaced the alternator and the battery was replaced a few months ago, but the problem still exists. I did notice the +terminal was loose, so I tightened that up hoping it would resolve the issue, but it did not.

The battery light comes on whenever the RPMs dip below 1000 and turns off when above 1000 RPMs.

I put a voltmeter on it and with the car running it is showing just under 12 volts instead of the 13-14 volts expected and there is no change in voltage when you increase the RPMs.

What else could cause this other than the alternator & battery?

2012 sante fe limited 3.5L motor

Thanks!
You could have a bad alternator out of the box. I was a mechanic for 17 years and rebuilt ones had this problem all the time, like 1 in 4 I got for any car were junk. Take it back to the place and have the alternator tested. I bet it fails. Always try to get new if you can with alternators. Too important a part to let rebuilds fail.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts