Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa Fe Team,
I've got a 2007 Santa Fe 3.3L with 150,000 miles. I was driving down the road and was making a left hand turn across a busy road and the car completely shut off. Lost power steering, power breaks, acceleration, everything turned off. Luckily I was able to coast into the parking lot I was turning into without getting hit. Once in the parking lot I turned the ignition off, pulled the key out, and waited a few minutes. I then put the key back into the ignition and turned the car back on. The car had no issues cranking back up and remained on. I continued about my day driving around a little concerned about what had happened. After several hours had gone by and I got back in my Santa Fe from the office, I started to drive home from work. Driving about 45 mph, driving straight, the car again, without warning, completely shut off. Again, I was able to coast into a parking lot where I turned the ignition off, pulled the key out, waited a minute or two, reinserted the key into the ignition, and cranked it right up. It had no issues cranking and no idling issues. At this point I had had enough. I attempted to drive to the Hyundai dealer to try and get this solved. On the way to the dealer, the car would sound and feel like it was about to die or cut off and would suddenly catch itself and jerk itself back to life, violently lurching forward and run kind of ruff. I feel like I just barely made it to the dealer and explained to them what had happened. They said they would look it over and give me the diagnosis. The next day they called me and said due to a valve cover oil leak, the alternator had become so saturated and caked in oil it was not charging the battery properly which was not allowing the electronics of the car to receive enough electricity which was causing the random car shut offs. To me this doesn't make sense. To me, if the alternator was not charging the battery, the car would not crank and start with no issues. Also as a side note, the gauge cluster does not have any check engine or battery lights on or any lights on for that matter. I have done a little internet searching for what could possibly be the problem, but have not found anything solid. Anybody have any ideas??? Help????

1 - 1 of 1 Posts