Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

Transmission Cooler for Towing

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ghalcomb 
#1 ·
I use my 2018 SF Sport 2.0I to tow a Jayco Hummingbird 16FD. This SF model is rated at 3500# towing and my 16FD runs nearly 3200# loaded. The SF does a great job pulling, though it does spend a lot of time in 4th/5th gear, and the gas mileage plummets to ~14 mpg.

I recently installed a Scan Gauge to measure the ATF temperature, and it ain't pretty. It commonly runs about 200-230F and on long upgrades gets over 260F. That's bad news for ATF breakdown and transmission failure. I recently had the ATF changed at 25K miles, and it was was pretty gunky.

The mechanic said he could probably fit in a cooler, but it was a messy job, perhaps needing the front bumper, etc removed. I can't find much information for this year/model, so wondered if anyone else has experience they would share?

#4 ·
I don't remember the model but it's a plate cooler and shop charged about $80 for the part and $200 to install. Most of the front end plastic had to be removed to get access to the radiator area.

The cooler is working very well. Transmission temp seldom gets above 180F pulling 3200# trailer, even in CO mountains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.