Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

Drive Modes need some clarification

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RochHam 
#1 ·
Can some one give me some clarification on the 2018 drive modes?

my vehicle SEL Plus all wheel drive has : Comfort, Sport and Smart - Thanks in advance

PS - I have tried both the Comfort and Smart mode and don't feel much difference,

Any information would be appreciated :

#2 ·
Not sure why no replies to your query. I have a 2019 Limited AWD 2.4L so suspect (other than winter when AWD kicks in) our mode controls are the same in your SEL. Refer to your owners manual section 5-51 for more in depth words but the summary is:

In NORMAL mode the engine and transmission control logic work together to provide regular daily driving performance with some fuel efficiency. [NORMAL and COMFORT mode are the same.]

SPORT mode manages the driving dynamics by automatically adjusting the steering effort, and the engine and transmission control logic for enhanced driving performance.

SMART mode selects the proper driving mode between NORMAL and SPORT by judging the driver's driving habits (i.e. Economical or Aggressive) from the brake pedal depression or the steering wheel operation.

I leave mine in Smart most of the time unless I'm in rush hour urban freeway I'll switch it to SPORT. Amazing change in performance & handling, but gas mileage is affected big time.

#4 ·
Comfort or Smart good MPGs

Comfort or Smart (if you don't drive wild) give the best gas mileage. I usually use Smart which will "glow green" if you are getting the best ECO type of MPGs and in warmer weather am averaging around 25 MPG in city (no warmups, AWD not kicking in) and high 20s on the road but saw 33.5 MPG on a "ramp to ramp" 70MPH flat freeway drive recently. Midwest winter MPGs especially short 10 mi trips are worse.

Sport turns the 2.4L into a much more responsive vehicle for 2 lane passing or big city freeway merging, but is at least 10-15% hit to MPGs. Sport makes the 2.4 feel peppier than my heavier 07 Jeep GC 4.7L V8 was, but the torque clearly isn't there ie no towing. I used to get 14 city/19 hiway MPGs for 11 years in the Jeep so the Santa Fe is a huge improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.