Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

rattle

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  LFLink 
#1 ·
hello all, new here, got a 2018 this spring and love it except for a rattle near the backseat/passenger side, dealer didn't take care of it (suspect they did no investigation at all). I'm going to try taking to them one more time and then end my relationship with them if they don't properly address the issue. Very easy to re-create the rattle but just hoping someone with experience might be able to offer some guidance on where to start looking under the car? Sounds simply like the frame is flexing when turning to the right and a bump is hit. Weird as it doesn't do it on humps/potholes but only when flexed side to side and as said sounds like if you were flexing the frame side to side and it "clicks." ??? thanx for any ideas on how to troubleshoot it:|

#3 ·
Hey thanx for the thought NoHonda but this is definitely coming from underneath the body. It makes it sound like a cheapo car and has been gradually worse as in more frequent and louder. Oh well if that's as bad a problem as I ever have with it I'll live with it. This site not too active huh? I get on the Tacoma site and that thing is incredible, the traffic. More enthusiasts there as you can imagine.

#4 ·
As more 2019 are sold that should help as far as forum participation.
Another area to look at is the rear suspension ...bolts may need to be tightened ...dealer should look at that.
Check out this forum
hyundai-forms.com/2019-hyundai-santa-fe-forum-tm/

#5 ·
Rear Rattke

I just bought a 2018 Santa Fe Sport and had a rattle on the highway 70mhp + only. I took it out this weekend and experimented with speed, traffic lane change, doors, seat belts, etc. Finally dug around outside of the car and realized that the mini mudflap anteriorly located on my rear passenger side tire was loose. It has three screws and (supposed) to have two plastic fasteners-One was missing.
Re-tested the car and voila-no rattle!
I'm taking the car to the dealer this week for an alignment and balance-I'll be asking them to fix that fastener as well.

#7 ·
I have a 2014 with the exact same issue but on the driver's side rear passenger door. It is definitely inside the door panel. I'd describe it as a rattle or flutter. Used to do it on above 70mph, now it does it at any speed above 55MPH. We've asked the dealer to diagnose it twice and they say they can't reproduce it. Don't understand why, my wife and I can bother clearly hear it from either front seat. It is definitely inside that left passenger door. Looking for advice, I'm not anxious to remove the door panel but will if its the only solution (besides ear plugs :) )

#8 ·
tough one for us THumper, dealer won't take the time to even attempt to locate a rattle, mines even worse since it's sporadic. Live with it or find a possible you-tube showing the work difficulty it would take. I would never attempt it, too many pitfalls for me but if you could find someone who's worked on them before (maybe an Independent mechanic willing to take apart the door. I just run with the radio anyhow so have learned to luv her and a dislike for my dealer any-hew. They (dealer service) are just like an outhouse, you don't stay any longer than necessary. Wish the manufacturers would control their dealers a lot more and do real quality inspections on them but... Good luck and report back please if you have success.

#13 ·
Hey - I realize this response is a couple years late, but I just searched "Hyundai 2018 Santa Fe rattle" and this site populated. I wanted to see what course of action you took w/ this issue and if it was ever resolved??? I have been having the same issue with my car since early 2019 and taken to the dealer MULTIPLE times since then with no resolve. They're so nice to keep trying to figure it out but there hasn't been any resolution on this end. In the beginning, the rattle would come and go but as of late, it's constant and I'm about to torch the car! Wanting to see what you ended up doing about it??

#14 ·
What I did was purchased the best tires I could find (Michelins) from a local Cadillac dealer and was willing to pay them to find the rattle while there for the tires. They fixed it and charged me nothing. The rattle was coming from inside the top of the tailgate area (even though it sounded to me when driving like it was coming from the RR side door). Now they (Cadillac dealer) are my go to for all non-warranty work (oil, etc). Seems as though they actually want my business and I may even buy my next car there in a couple years (definitely will shop them). I'm old fashioned and enjoy a business and employees of that business who want work and my business. Given up on the local Hyundai dealer (even though they probably won't miss me). BTW the tires made a H=U=G=E difference in the ride quietness and softness and handling compared to the rock hard factory provided tires. Hope you find a solution (need a good mechanic w/body shop experience). I know it's disheartening to have a new car that rattles. Turn up that radio :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.